Its full name is Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación, although for the people of Málaga it is simply “the Cathedral”. In all cities, a cathedral is always important, but here in Malaga it is even more important, because it is not just a religious building, it is also a benchmark, a landmark citizen, a milestone on the road and a witness to many events.
The building is one of the best examples of Spanish religious art: located on the remains of other cultural samples such as the primitive Almohad mosque.
Its traces began about 1,530 and was completed in the 18th century, although it is an unfinished work since it lacks the main facade and the south tower.
The lack of a tower has caused it to be popularly called La Manquita and that regarding this, circulate even today, a legend that says that the money that was destined in the XIX to its completion was spent, sending it to pay the wars in America , although it is shown that this money was actually used to finance urgent public works in the province.
With a plant of three naves with ambulatory, it is in a certain way an evolution of the Gothic art that in its first moment welcomed the new Renaissance ideas, with all the naves of the same height with vaulted vaults that make up those characteristic dome-shaped ones that are seen from above , for example when you see the cathedral from the Málaga Palacio hotel.
The elevation incorporates the Siloesque style with Brunelleschi’s die, which contributes to give it greater height and eye-catching without distorting the canon.
By its head is sister of those of Granada and Guadix, the Andalusian cathedrals of the XVI, on the other hand by its choir it is necessary to relate it with the Choirs of Toledo and Cordova, the three most important of Spain.
In the Malaga Choir is the stalls with 42 carvings, mostly by Pedro de Mena, a masterpiece that was made after the previous interventions of Luis Ortiz de Vargas and the Apostolate of the sculptor José Micael Alfaro, all this is done be one of the most important works of its kind.
Highlight also two magnificent organs that have more than 4,000 tubes, rare and beautiful examples of eighteenth-century musical instruments that, even today, are in good use and with which frequent concerts are given.
The covers of the cathedral are known like the one of the Chains, in front of the Palace of Zea-Salvatierra with its gardens and its patio of the orange trees; the main one, known as the one of the Plaza del Obispo and, although it is not integrated into the Cathedral, the façade of the Sagrario.
Since the mid-twentieth century the Cathedral was completely exempt when the last houses that were attached to it in the area near the Park were demolished.
In the cathedral is the Cathedral Museum, currently located in the dependencies of the former Chapter Room, are two rooms, part of the work of the eighteenth century, which have a beautiful coffered ceiling of the nineteenth, with works from the Cathedral itself and other places , some of rooms already disappeared, such as the old Room of Ornaments, also called of the Treasure of the cathedral, and of this same Chapter, both already disappeared and in the first of the rooms is where a lot of sacred works are located.
This fortress palace whose name in Arabic means citadel is one of the historical monuments of the city, a space visited for combining history and beauty in the same place.
From the Muslim era it is located at the foot of Mount Gibralfaro, where there is the Arab defensive castle to which it was linked by a corridor protected by walls called La Coracha; next to the Roman Theater and in front of the Aduana building, it is an opportunity to see in only a few meters the union of the Roman, Arab and Renaissance cultures, which makes this corner a very special place.
Built between 1057 and 1063 according to Muslim historians at the behest of the king of Berber taifas of Granada, Badis. In its construction, hauling materials were used and pieces of the Roman theater annex were reused, such as columns and capitals.
Later the Almoravids arrived in Malaga in 1092 and the Almohades in 1146. In 1279 the conquest of Muhammad II Ben al-Ahmar and passes to the Nazarite kingdom. Its reform gives it a deep imprint as a Nasrid building built on the rock. It combines the defense and beauty needs of an Arab palace organized with rectangular patios and bays around its gardens and ponds. Its rooms that, in the tradition of the architecture of Granada, look for in the interiors the alternation of lights and shades to achieve those games that dominate the Arab buffs so well.
Its military component makes it one of the most important Muslim works preserved in Spain. With matacanas, albarrana towers with loopholes and crenellated walls as defensive elements, nevertheless its best defense was in its situation, dominating from its balconies the city and the bay.
Around it there was a neighborhood, now totally disappeared, that even had its system to evacuate the faecal waters, and with latrines in almost all the houses, which attests to the high level of civilization that existed at that time.
It had successive reconstructions, some even in the twentieth century, and it is currently visited with important archaeological exhibits. In the first excavations for its restoration, remains of Roman walls of concrete coated with reddish stucco and small pools excavated in slate appeared, destined to the preparation of the Garum (fish paste elaborated by the Romans) and a dungeon where they locked up during the night to the Christian captives who worked during the day.
Since March 2017, the rooms that house the Picasso Museum’s permanent collection have been renewed, gaining closeness and knowledge about the work of Pablo Picasso. Of marked chronological accent, the new presentation reveals the extension of the artist’s work over time, as well as the intrinsic versatility of his work and the cyclical nature of his artistic research, focusing attention on his constant vocation to explore the expressive possibilities of any support.
This new expository story is the result of the close collaboration between the Picasso Museum Malaga and the Almine and Bernard Ruiz-Picasso Foundation for Art (FABA), which during the next three years contributes to the speech with a selection of one hundred and sixty-six works from of your funds. Among the works that are incorporated into the new route, are Restaurant (1914), an exceptional oil cut and pasted on glass that is exposed for the first time to the public; The Three Graces (1923), a large canvas in which the most classic and monumental Picasso is shown; or the iconic bronze Cabeza de toro (1942), made with the handlebar and saddle of a bicycle. All of them, together with the rest of the exhibited works, make up an expository narrative that begins with the formative years, passes through the great stylistic and thematic moments of his career -cubismo, mediterranean, the portrait … – and ends with the reinterpretation of the great masters, all with the combination of talent, technique and expression that made Picasso the great artist of the twentieth century. See selected works>
Pablo Picasso. New Collection has the support of the Endesa Foundation, which joins the project through a collaboration and sponsorship agreement that will allow optimal lighting of Picasso’s work in the rooms of the Palacio de Buenavista with the latest technology.